Friday, July 10, 2009

Italia

Hello!
So I have been in Italy for the past little while, and its been quite the adventure.
The first place I went is called Cinque Terre, and its five fishing villages on the West coast of Italy. You can hike between all 5 villages. Its 10 kms and some of it is really tough but I definitely got some of the best photos so far. The villages are very authentic Italian: Everyone knows each other and all the older people sit on chairs along the street. I also met people from Vancouver who were here for a wedding (one of the friends was marrying someone from the village), and we went out for drinks with them which was really fun!
After I went to visit my friend Marryn who is living and working in Siena this summer. It was kind of fortunate because Geoff had an allergic reaction to an Italian bug and we stayed until 4 am in the Siena hospital. Luckily Marryn could translate for Geoff who ended up getting a Cortisone shot and an IV drip. Siena just had its town festival, which is a bareback horserace. Each neighbourhood has a horse in the race, and whichever one wins gets bragging rights for the year. However, each neighbourhood has a week long block party, which was pretty fun to see.
Now Im in Rome!
And who else is in Italy right now? The G8.
So of course, when I went to Vatican City today to the Sistine Chapel, it was closed!
Barack Obama was inside!! Luckily we got to see Barack leaving the chapel and driving out of Vatican City!
Anyways, after I saw St. Peters Basillica (where the Pope comes out)! Tomorrow I will see the Sistine chapel and the Colleseum!

No comments:

Post a Comment